- About Us
- College Overview
- Message from the Dean
- Mission and Vision
- Our Faculty
- Open House
- Event Calendar
- House System
- College Fact Sheet
- Accreditation and Awards
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- CVHS Annual Open House
- DVM Program
- Other Programs
- Current Students
- Student Services
- Commencement Information
- Veterinary Hospital
- Small Animal Services
- Large Animal Services
- Emergency & Critical Care
- Hospital Information
- Prescription Refill Form
- Client Forms
- Make an Appointment
- Referring Veterinarians
- Give to the Hospital
- Veterinary Health Sciences Ranch
- Referring Veterinarians
- Hire an OSU Veterinarian
- Upcoming Events
- Continuing Education
- Our Facilities
- Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory (OADDL)
- Clinical Trials
- The Friday Bit Newsletter
- Featured Alumni
- CVHS Alumni Society
- Class Information
- Alumni Awards
- National Conferences & Events
- CVHS Walk of Honor
- CVHS Merchandise
- Update Your Alumni Information
- Join the Alumni Association
- Orange Sockies Family Album
- Contact Us
Endowed Faculty Chairs and Professorships
Was there one professor who inspired you or maybe opened up a new career path to you that changed your life?
Faculty chairs and professorships at OSU’s Center for Veterinary Health Sciences:
- Encourage excellence in teaching and scholarship
- Offer distinctive faculty positions that strengthen scholarship in teaching, research, and service
- Enhance the recruitment of outstanding scholars.
Take advances in basic medical research. Thanks to endowed chairs the veterinary center is making major advances in basic and applied lung biology research that investigates pulmonary functions, pulmonary diseases, and the effects of environmental factors on both while training the next generation of lung biologists.
Another lab plays a major role in the Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases program that is currently evolving throughout the world by developing new generation antimicrobials that can be used against bioterrorism pathogens and emerging infectious agents.
And down the corridor, research from the Neurotoxicology Laboratory has directly influenced regulatory issues pertaining to pesticides and children’s health.
In the agricultural community, endowed chairs support food animal research. Studies focus on:
- bovine respiratory disease, a major problem for cattle owners costing up to $200 million in losses annually
- identifying the interactions of viruses and bacteria
- identify emerging viruses
- diagnostic tests, development of effective bovine viral diarrhea virus (BVDV) vaccines and biosecurity measures to prevent exposure to BVDV
- tick-transmitted diseases in cattle and the development of vaccines to prevent such diseases.
For the pet lovers, endowed chairs support:
- the latest surgical techniques to minimize patient trauma
- parasitology research aimed at identifying parasites and better ways to protect dogs and cats from life threatening diseases.
A faculty chair is created through a minimum total endowment of $1 million. A Professorship is created through a minimum total endowment of $500,000. Support allows faculty members to pursue scholarly activities, which directly impact the quality of academic programs.
Endowed positions are great recruitment tools to bring in nationally recognized faculty leaders and can be utilized to advance the current work of preeminent scientists, support visiting professors and nurture promising junior faculty members. Dollars can also be directed toward the purchase of vitally needed research equipment and/or materials. Endowed Chairs provide training for veterinary students and residents in specific areas of animal medicine with a focus given to teaching, clinical research and clinical diagnostics.